Check out this delicious recipe for this amazing Star Wars themed Jabba The Hutt Vegan Shepherd’s Pie from yukitchen.com.
JABBA THE HUTT VEGAN SHEPHERD'S PIE
Preheat the oven to 400F/200C, then boil the potatos.
- Peel all the potatoes and cut them into 3cm cubes. Prepare a pot half-filled with cold water, add the sliced potatoes and stir in 3 tablespoons of salt. Bring it to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low and let it gently simmer until they are soft. It should take about 10-15 minutes.
Prepare the ingredients.
- Cut all the veggies into small pieces and boils the lentils for 15 minutes and strain. Prepare all the wet ingridients like red wine, tomato puree and vegetable stock.
Start the actual cooking.
- While the potatoes are boiling, start making the pie mixture. Use a large non-stick frying pan and preheat it to medium-high heat. Then add the chopped garlic and fry them until they turn yellow.
Add onions, carrots, and mushrooms.
- First, add the onions, carrots and mushrooms together with a pinch of salt and pepper. Wait until the onions turn light-brown and the carrots become tender, it should be about 10 minutes.
Add the rest of the veggies.
- Add the boiled lentils, cut tomatoes and cut okura and mix it well.
- To make your pie taste more gravy-like, add just a little flour. I added around 2 tablespoons, but you can add more if you like the mixture to be thicker.
Add the wet ingredients and herbs.
- This is the most fun part! Add one cup of vegetable stock, half a cup of red wine, half a cup tomato puree and finally 1 tablespoon each of dried thyme and rosemary. Mix it well for a couple of minutes.
Make mashed potatoes.
- Get the potatoes out of the pod and drain the water. Add a tablespoon of salt and 2~3 tablespoons of soy milk, then use a masher to mash the potatoes. Don’t add too much moisture, because you don’t want a runny Jabba!
Make the Jabba-base.
- Prepare a plastic wrap and start forming the shape of Jabba on it. Make sure you have a picture of Jabba nearby so it can guide you on how to shape his body. Have lots of fun making this and don’t try to be perfect.
Finish the rest of the mashed potatoes.
- Add half a cup of soy milk and 3~4 tablespoons of vegetable stock to your mashed potatoes. By adding more moisture it gets easier to spread it on top of the pie.
Put it all together.
- Pour the pie mixture into a pie plate and spread the mashed potatoes on the surface.
Put Jabba the Hutt on top!
- Slowly lift Jabba from the plastic wrap that you were using before, and make sure you don’t get too excited and accidentally break him. This should not be too difficult.
Bake for 20 minutes
- Your oven should be preheated 400F/200C by now. It’s time to bake Jabba till he turns into a gorgeous golden color
Start making face.
- For his facial parts, I used thinly cut dried seaweed. wet entire strings of seaweed and start making the face on Jabba. If you don’t wet the seaweed, it won’t stick to the face so be careful!
- For Jabba’s green parts, I used matcha powder. Wet a spoon and dip into the powder, then gently start painting Jabba’s surface using the back of the spoon.
This recipe and all images are from http://yukitchen.com/ to see the full recipe and detailed walk-through on this wonderful Start Wars themed treat visit:
For the full detailed with lots of pics recipe, backstory and lots more deliciousness head over to yukitchen.com