These sprawling epics are going to chew through time, as they have tons of story to reveal, but you won’t mind because the story is incredible, plus there are fantastical beasts to fight, powerful magic to unleash, political machinations to partake in, intriguing characters to meet, and mystical lands to explore. Heroes never rest! Especially since the fate of the world depends on you… so no pressure.
Mask of Deception follows the story of Haku, a mysterious amnesiac who awakens in an unfamiliar wilderness wearing nothing but a hospital gown and sporting a splitting headache. He’s rescued by a beautiful girl named Kuon, who sports both adorable animal ears and a beastlike tail.
They eventually team up, and Haku will (reluctantly) encounter colorful characters (yes, that means more animal people), build deep relationships, battle ruthless enemies, and find himself inexorably dragged into the political machinations of the mighty nation of Yamato.
The game is a grand tale that unfolds in a stunning visual novel format. Seriously, the magnificent art style and epic soundtrack (recorded and remastered at the legendary Abbey Road Studios and EastWest Studios) will make it feel like you’re watching a cinematic fantasy unfolding right before your eyes. Except this isn’t a movie, it’s a game that you’ll be in control of on PS4 and/or PS Vita! What better way to pass the time during school/work than getting lost in a new world? Okay, don’t actually play the game during school or work, but you have my full support if you wanted to break out the PS Vita during break/lunch.
Game Information from AtlusUSA:
Originally known as Utawarerumono: Itsuwari no Kamen in Japan, Mask of Deception is a grand tale meant to enchant the hearts and minds of players in search of incredible journey. The game begins atop a snowy mountain where the protagonist awakens in an unfamiliar wilderness, surrounded by deadly creatures, with nothing but a hospital gown and a splitting headache. However, he’s eventually rescued by a beautiful girl named Kuon, who sports both adorable animal ears and a beastlike tail. Finding that the hapless man has no memory of anything, Kuon decides to take the amnesiac into her care, naming him Haku. As their journey takes them across the land, Haku will (reluctantly) encounter colorful characters (yes, that means more animal people), build deep relationships, battle ruthless enemies, and find himself inexorably dragged into the political machinations of the mighty nation of Yamato.
Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception features:
• An Unforgettable Story – Mask of Deception offers a story-rich visual novel experience (40-50+ hours long) that lets players shape the future of a fully realized world filled with fantastical lore and history! Mask of Deception sets up the story for a thrilling conclusion in Mask of Truth, and we’ll reveal more information about the final game at a later date.
• An Active SRPG Battle System – Players will need to defend Haku and his friends by engaging in intense SRPG combat with the various hostiles that populate the world. The battle system is a thrilling mix of turn-based tactics and Attack Chain mechanics. Players can remain active during combat by successfully completing timing-based charging rings to execute critical attacks or vital dodges/blocks.
• Fully Fleshed Out Combat – Unique combat features such as the rewind function, elemental affinities/weaknesses, unique character skills, and more add a layer of depth to fights. It’ll take true tactical acumen to emerge victorious in battle!
• Breathtaking Art – With a stunning art style and beautifully rendered cutscenes, the game is a feast for the eyes for Japanese visual novel and anime aficionados!
• Beautiful Songs and a Thrilling Score – The rousing music, recorded and remastered at the legendary Abbey Road Studios and EastWest Studios, is a perfect soundtrack to accompany a great adventure.